Monday, May 18, 2015

Teacher, Teacher, Pumpkin Eater

I am a new teacher. I mean brand new. I mean I just got a degree and am still awaiting that license to come in the mail. I love teaching. I have wanted to teach since I was four years old, with the exception of the two years that I wanted to be an actress/singer. Maybe one day I will moonlight, but for now, I am stuck steady on the career path that has been my calling since childhood.



On top of my passion for teaching, I am also a vintage-addict. In fact, once I had finally mounted myself on the teaching path, I researched teaching methods from the past. I talked with my grandmother who taught for about forty years from the forties to nineteen eighty. I researched the dress of teachers, the way they set up classrooms, and the way the treated children. Admittedly, much of the things they did are no longer acceptable, for practical reasons. (It is wrong to put a dunce cap on a child or to use the paddle). Regardless, I think that it sets a good example for children to see a teacher who does her best to dress and act like someone the children could aspire to be.

I ramble, but I want give a good introduction. I am a young, new teacher, who appreciates history and it's practical application to the present. I hope to give you all tips on dress and teaching, using my experience (which is more extensive in some areas than others). I want you to learn with me as I grow into becoming a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment